Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fighting Parking Tickets


An article in the Examiner gives you a place to vent about your parking tickets dptwatch.com. There are actually many sites, one of them on Yelp.
Another is called The Expired Meter.
I've personally had a fair amount of success fighting tickets - parking and moving.

I was ticketed twice in front of my house for not having my wheels turned away from the curb on a hill. Yes - but as you can see from the photo there is no curb and, when there is no curb, you are supposed to turn your wheels away from the street.

It took me 6 months to beat these tickets but that's okay because they don't charge interest until they (the Supreme Parking Court) makes a final decision. They rejected my dispute through the mail but, when I went in person to the august MTA, I won the battle with my photos and a copy of the Driver's Handbook. The "judge" I spoke with didn't the know the law himself and thanked me for teaching it to him. I haven't been hit with this particular bogus ticket since.

Always fight. Take pictures and quote the law. Remember cops, especially parking cops, often don't know the law that they think that they are enforcing. If you know the law, it gives you an edge.

I repeat - fight! I've won about 75% of the time. Fight even if you're guilty. Don't they ticket you when you're innocent? Remember - a good story can trump a bad law. Fight! Fight! Fight!

1 comment:

  1. I fully agree that it is best to fight, but I never fight if I feel I am "wrong." If you feel the law itself is wrong, the best place to fight is at City Hall. If you don't fight, things will only get worse.
    The reliance on revenue collectable from street activity is due to the City government's being finessed by the wealthy. The City is too chicken-shit to actually tax the owners of those incalculable valuable skyscrapers. This is due to the fact it is those businessmen who put the representatives into government. And that is due to the stupid version of "democracy" we practice in this country, which is about as sophisticated as a junior-high-school popularity contest among the children of the "haves."

    ReplyDelete